Sunday, October 7, 2007

Why Un-Retranslate

A quick glance into the patched translation, shows some terrible, terrible mistakes:

RE-TRANSLATION:
Fritz: I'm beat...... I was thinking I'd outdo my old man, and going on a trip to stock up was all well and good...... But at the inn on the way back, I got caught up in the arrest of a gang of robbers. I got arrested along with them. Besides that, the death penalty, without even listening to my story! Why in the...... phew...... You really saved me.
UN-RE-TRANSLATION:
FRITZ: Man, was I up the creek! I went off on a buying trip, and ended up getting jailed with a bunch of thieves! The officials planned to execute me without a trial! What has gotten into them?

Abuse of ellipsis, complicated grammar, lack of any consistency in the writing. This could easily have come out of Babelfish.


RE-TRANSLATION:
Born of dreams, returning to dreams...…Beings such as that exist as well.
At times, human prayers and desires borrow the power of Lavos-sama and materialize.
UN-RE-TRANSLATION:
Beings that are born of dreams, must return to them...
The power of Lavos can make hopes and dreams come true...
What is the purpose of leaving -sama in the translation. "Lord Lavos", or "The Great Lavos" would work just as well. Such needless blunders are elegantly eliminated in our version.

No comments: